8.07.2010

This Book is Overdue!: How Librarians and Cybrarians Can Save Us All by Marilyn Johnson

So, one of my favorite old man library patrons walked up to the reference desk, put this book down in front of me, and opened it to one of the blankish pages near the front that had this lone quote on it: 

"Show me a computer expert who gives a damn, and I'll show you a librarian."
--Patricia Wilson Berger, former president, American Library Association

And then he pointed at me.  See, this patron, let's call him Mr. Y, is one of my favorites because he is:  a) kind, b) patient, c) waits his turn, d) practices good hygiene, e) does not act as if he's the most important person in the world, f) asks me computer questions and then does his darnedest to remember what I told him, and g) is always appreciative of what I'm able to teach him about technology.  He said, "Half of the chapters in this book are about you."

I now feel extremely compelled to read this book over the weekend because, well, of course I want to read about how wonderful I am!  False immodesty aside, I hope that I do actually find this book complimentary and fun.....  For as many stereotypes about librarians as there are, and in light of this super crappy economy, I am still proud to count myself amongst this rare breed and anything I can get my hands on that will give me a boost is a good thing.

No comments: